Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Failing to Learn Japanese in Five Minutes

Hipster. Lately people have been calling me a "Hipster" which made me wonder "Am I a Hipster?" I immediately rejected the thought and even had a little chuckle at the mere concept of me sticking to a stereotype. But then I realized something. Every Hipster I'd ever met had laughed at the idea of them being a Hipster. Most people say no hipster is self aware enough to realize what they are but I beg to differ..A few weeks ago, our school had spirit week in which every day was a new theme. So Wednesday was Hipster day. Without realizing, I put on my regular clothes and added glasses to my outfit. It was not only when Grant Tarlton told me I was wearing my regular clothes. And BAM! did it hit me that I was in fact I was a Hipster trying to dress up as a "Hipster". I'm pretty sure irony slapped me in the face that day.   

3 comments:

  1. Justin- My favorite part of this story is the last sentence! I really liked your personification of irony when it "slapped" you in the face. I also like your use of the onomatopoeia, "BAM!" because it really brings the point of surprise across to the reader. This could be a little longer or include more detail. You could also maybe include some more literary terms to make it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a really clear and funny voice. When reading, it's really easy to imagine you saying it. You had some great uses of personification ("irony slapped me in the face") and onomatopeia ("BAM!") that really made your piece even better. It was a little short and there could be some more literary terms, yet you pulled it off because of your voice and humor. Great job :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the use of onomatopoeia, and irony. Especially when you used the word 'BAM', and then said 'irony slapped me in the face', which I think was pretty clever. You made an interesting entry, but I think this post may benefit from more details, in terms of what happen on that particular day or something.

    ReplyDelete